Monday, September 14, 2009

Beaten by Butter

My moms' group made cookies in a jar today. One of those allegedly simple recipes where you just add the wet ingredients, pop in the oven and wait a few minutes and savor the delicious treats. As you may guess from the title, it was not to be.

At 2 I took out two sticks of butter in anticipation of afternoon cookie fun with Froggy, my toddler. Five hours later I finally got a chance to make the cookies. Froggy's job was to unwrap the butter and put it in the bowl. Mine was to run the mixer to combine the egg and butter into a light creamy blend. She completed her part and even put the wrappers in the trash. I couldn't get past runny and lumpy. I decided the bowl should have had high scrapable sides instead of being wide and deep but my proper cookie bowl was already involved in another project. Ah well, we're going for it anyway. In went the dry mix.

It mixed... not so nicely. I added 2T of water just to get everything wet. I rationalized it as margerine offset. The batter looked fine so we proceeded with an absolute absence of caution. With my skilled leadership Froggy was able to coat the sheet in cooking spray. Translated, she pushed the button and I moved her hand. Then she counted while I scooped. We popped the first trays into the oven. It seemed as if cookies were imminent.

Upon baking they flattened and spread. When removed from the sheet I could read through them. I don't mean they were paper thin, that might have been an achievement. I mean they crumbled and broke. My two year old is equally delighted by cookies or cookie bits. My husband, God bless him and the Army, will eat just about anything I put in front of him. Regardless, I will not be attempting cookies in a jar again for a while.

1 comment:

  1. OH NO!!! I feel responsible - this was my craft. I tested it, and they came out perfect for me...I wonder what happened.

    ReplyDelete